Helpful tips for August 2022
In this issue:
Articles of the day
* Uses For Alberto V-O5 Conditioning Hairdressing done
From the pages of Donna’s travel diary
award winning sight loss coach and author
* How opened are our international borders?
Courtesy of the research team at http://www.sterlingcreations.ca
Scams of the month:
Before giving you our scam tips of the month, here are some very valueable tips.
You need to remember that scams come in the following formats:
As emails, as phone calls both recorded and via a live caller, and o yes! It can even show up at your door and in your mailbox.
And now they are targeting us through texts being sent to our cell phones.
Before giving you the latest scams making the rounds; we have some do nots to share with you.
Do not respond to emails that look strange to you.
Do not download attachments from unknown senders.
Do not share your username and password to your online banking and any other online payments facilities with anyone.
Do not give out any banking or personal details on the phone to unknown callers.
Do not pay any attention to threats from automated phone recordings or from live persons with regard to your credit card or that you owe money to any revenue agency.
Do not entertain any offers either via email or by phone from senders and callers offering incredible service packages as they may pertain to cable and tv services, prizes that you have won, or any sort of any type of service package.
Do not answer the door to unknown callers.
Take extra caution to make sure that the details of your credit cards and debit cards are fully protected when you make payments at restaurants or at stores, pharmacies, and elsewhere.
Do not enter your password for Facebook or Twitter in response to a text request on your cell phone.
The same if you are asked for your Apple ID.
Do not fall prey to a text message telling you that your banking details have been compromised online.
Important tips on Alexa
Courtesy of Donna
A.) Speaker groups allow you to play music, podcasts and news on multiple Echo devices at once, providing a Multi-room audio experience.
Just say, “Alexa, move my music to the kitchen.”
B.) Set a reminder with Alexa so you don’t forget family plans.
Just say, “Alexa, remind me to join my family call on Sunday.”
C.) Streamline your day with Featured Routines in the Alexa app. Routines are like ready-made shortcuts — or you can easily create your own Routines from scratch, limited only by your imagination!
Just say, “Alexa, enable the Good Morning Routine.”
D.) Personalize your Flash Briefings by choosing providers that report on the entertainment, business, sports, and local news that you care about most.
Just say, “Alexa, play Flash Briefing.”
E.) Transform your apprentice knight into a powerful paladin, and battle evil forces like Dark Tower Knights and terrifying Dark Forest orcs.
Just say, “Alexa, start Knight Manager.”
With a huge thanks!
Tips from Melanie Mama Peach
1) Best Of Helpful Hints: The Kitchen
Baking With Ease:
Avoiding Soggy Pie Crusts
* Brush the pie crust with the beaten white of an egg, then sprinkle lightly with flour.
2) Best Of Helpful Hints: The Kitchen
Baking With Ease: Easy Tips For Light Flaky Crusts
* Use very cold shortening.
* Use about one-third as much shortening as flour.
* Mix crust the day before baking and leave in refrigerator.
* Roll pastry lightly, using as little flour as possible.
* Roll from the center of dough out and up. Not back and forth.
3) Best Of Helpful Hints: The Kitchen
Baking With Ease: Even Brown Crusts
* Brush Lightly with milk, just before popping into the oven.
4) Best Of Helpful Hints: The Kitchen
Baking With Ease: Making The Crust With Ease
* Dampen the countertop with a little water. Smooth a large piece of waxed paper onto the area, with the waxed side up. Flour the paper and roll out the crust with ease. The paper will not slip.
5) Best Of Helpful Hints: The Kitchen
Baking With Ease: How To Make A Heart-Shaped Cake
* First, make a round cake and a square cake. Cut the round cake in half. Then, turn the square cake so the corners face you, and it appears to be a diamond shape rather than square. Place each half of the round cake on the two upper most sides of the diamond and you now have a perfectly heart-shaped cake.
6) Best Of Helpful Hints: The Kitchen
Baking With Ease: Five Equal Pie Pieces
* Cut a “Y” in the pie and then cut the two large pieces in half. You will then have 5 pieces exactly the same size.
7) Best Of Helpful Hints: The Kitchen
Baking With Ease: Making A Moist Cake
* Always put a shallow pan of water in the oven while the cake is baking. Then, the heat will not rob moisture from the cake.
8) Baking With Ease: Setting The Icing
* Before freezing an iced cake, pop it in the freezer for 15 minutes to set the icing, then wrap the cake and put it back in the freezer.
9) Best Of Helpful Hints: The Kitchen
Baking With Ease: Smooth Cake Slices
* To get smooth slices and avoid crumbling when slicing fresh cakes, dip your knife in a glass of cold water.
10) Best Of Helpful Hints: The Kitchen
Baking With Ease: Eliminating The Cake Air Bubbles
* Before baking a cake, rap pans sharply on countertop before placing in oven.
11) Best Of Helpful Hints: The Kitchen
Baking With Ease: Baking Bread In The Summer
* If your air conditioning prevents your bread from rising, try this: place the bread in your oven. The warmth inside the oven (pilot light and gas ovens, electric light in electric ovens) will give just enough heat to make the bread rise properly.
11) Best Of Helpful Hints: The Kitchen
Baking With Ease: Guaranteed Yeast Doughs
* Yeast doughs are guaranteed to rise properly if you set the bowl of yeast on an electric heating pad which is set on low. Place a piece of foil between the bowl and pad.
Articles of the day
Chosen by the Business Desk team
Uses For Alberto V-O5 Conditioning Hairdressing
1. Prevent silver from tarnishing.
Apply a thin coat of Alberto V-O-5 Conditioning Hairdressing with a soft cloth to clean, polish, dry silver candlesticks, picture frames, silver sets, and other decorative items. Wipe off excess leaving behind a very thin,
virtually invisible, protective coating. V-O-5’s organic protectants actually prevent tarnishing.
2. Remove a ring stuck on a finger.
Rub on a little Alberto V-O-5 Conditioning Hairdressing, then hold your hand up toward the ceiling to drain the blood from the area, and slide off the ring.
3. Make cleaning up after painting or doing a messy auto grease job easy.
Lightly coating your hands with Alberto V-O-5 Conditioning Hairdressing before painting or fixing the car, allows you to clean them off afterward without harsh solvents.
4. Soften your feet.
Before going to bed, coat your feet with Alberto V-O-5 Conditioning Hairdressing and put on a pair of socks.
5. Prevent spray paint from sticking in your hair.
Before spray painting, slick a dab of Alberto V-O-5 Conditioning Hairdressing the size of a quarter over your hair so you can wash away the paint more easily.
6. Prevent static electricity in your hair.
Comb a dab of Alberto V-O-5 Conditioning Hairdressing through your hair.
7. Protect your scalp during a permanent.
Rub some Alberto V-O-5 Conditioning Hairdressing into the scalp before giving yourself a perm.
8. Minimize drying out your hair in a chlorinated pool.
Rub a long dab of Alberto V-O-5 Conditioning Hairdressing through your hair before taking a swim.
9. Prevent hair coloring from dying your skin.
Dab a little Alberto V-O-5 Conditioning Hairdressing on your forehead and around the hairline and ears to help keep the color from staining your skin.
10. Remove makeup.
A dab of Alberto V-O-5 Conditioning Hairdressing on a tissue or cotton ball gently removes makeup.
11. Glitter your face for a holiday party.
Rub in a little Alberto V-O-5 Conditioning Hairdressing onto your cheeks, then dust lightly with glitter.
12. Moisturize your face.
Rub in a little Alberto V-O-5 Conditioning Hairdressing in the lines around your eyes to help prevent dry lines.
13. Remove an adhesive bandage painlessly.
Rub in a little Alberto V-O-5 Conditioning Hairdressing into the bandage wings, wait a few minutes, then peel off.
14. Soothe chapped lips and skin.
Rub in a small amount of Alberto V-O-5 Conditioning Hairdressing.
15. Soothe your legs after shaving.
Rub some Alberto V-O-5 Conditioning Hairdressing into your skin after the bath or shower to make your legs feel velvety smooth.
16. Make zippers glide easily.
Rub a little Alberto V-O-5 Conditioning Hairdressing into the teeth of the zipper.
17. Condition leather.
If you’re all out of mink oil, substitute Alberto V-O-5 Conditioning Hairdressing.
18. Protect leather shoes and boots from winter salt and ice.
Rub in Alberto V-O-5 Conditioning Hairdressing.
19. Shine vinyl and patent leather shoes.
Rub in a little Alberto V-O-5 Conditioning Hairdressing, then buff.
20. Protect your dog or cat’s paw pads.
Rub in a little Alberto V-O-5 Conditioning Hairdressing before sending your pet outdoors.
21. Prevent shoes from squeaking.
Give squeaky shoes a coat of Alberto V-O-5 Conditioning Hairdressing.
22. Detangle and shine a dog’s coat.
Comb in a small amount of Alberto V-O-5 Conditioning Hairdressing.
23. Prevent cat hair balls and static electricity on your cat’s coat.
Rub in a little Alberto V-O-5 Conditioning Hairdressing. (Don’t worry if your cat licks its fur; Alberto V-O-5 Conditioning Hairdressing is natural and non-toxic.)
24. Shine a horse’s hooves.
Rub in a little Alberto V-O-5 Conditioning Hairdressing.
25. Prevent a leather saddle from drying out.
Rub in a little Alberto V-O-5 Conditioning Hairdressing.
26. Detangle a horse’s mane and tail.
Brush in a little Alberto V-O-5 Conditioning Hairdressing.
27. Stop windows from sticking in their tracks.
Lubricate the tracks with a little Alberto V-O-5 Conditioning Hairdressing.
28. Lubricate pipe joints.
A thin layer of Alberto V-O-5 Conditioning Hairdressing on pipe connections will make them fit together more easily.
29. Prevent nuts and bolts from rusting together.
Lubricate the nuts and bolts with a dab of Alberto V-O-5 Conditioning Hairdressing before screwing them together.
30. Prevent tools from rusting.
Give your tools a light coat of Alberto V-O-5 Conditioning Hairdressing.
31. Stop a faucet from screeching.
Remove the handle and stem, coat both sets of metal threads with Alberto V-O-5 Conditioning Hairdressing, and replace.
32. Stop refrigerator racks from sticking.
Coat the edges of the racks with a thin layer of Alberto V-O-5 Conditioning Hairdressing so the racks glide easily.
33. Prevent squeaky door hinges.
Apply a little bit of Alberto V-O-5 Conditioning Hairdressing.
34. Lubricate furniture drawers.
Rub in a little Alberto V-O-5 Conditioning Hairdressing on the casters of drawers so they slide open and shut easily.
35. Keep shower curtains gliding easily.
Apply a thin coat of Alberto V-O-5 Conditioning Hairdressing to the curtain rod.
36. Prevent sliding doors on a medicine cabinet from sticking.
Rub a little Alberto V-O-5 Conditioning Hairdressing onto the glides.
37. Clean wooden knick-knacks and other wood objects.
Lightly coat the wood with Alberto V-O-5 Conditioning Hairdressing, then buff.
38. Avoid splattering paint on windows, hinges, doorknobs, and lock latches.
Coat them with Alberto V-O-5 Conditioning Hairdressing to prevent paint from adhering to the surfaces. After painting, wipe clean with a cloth.
39. Hide scratches on wood furniture.
Put a dab of Alberto V-O-5 Conditioning Hairdressing on a clean, soft cloth, then buff the spot.
40. Prevent wood paneling from drying out.
Just rub on Alberto V-O-5 Conditioning Hairdressing with a clean, soft cloth, and buff well, giving the paneling a soft glow.
41. Remove candle wax drippings from candlestick holders.
Coat the candlestick holders with Alberto V-O-5 Conditioning Hairdressing before inserting the candles.
42. Make a stainless steel sink sparkle.
Shine the sink with a dab of Alberto V-O-5 Conditioning Hairdressing on a soft cloth.
43. Shine chrome faucets, handles, and car bumpers.
Put a little Alberto V-O-5 Conditioning Hairdressing on a soft, dry cloth and buff lightly.
44. Clean plant leaves.
Apply a small dab of Alberto V-O-5 Conditioning Hairdressing to the leaves with a soft cloth.
45. Break in a baseball glove.
Rub the center of the glove with Alberto V-O-5 Conditioning Hairdressing, place a baseball in the glove, fold the mitt around it, and secure with rubber bands. Tuck the glove under a mattress overnight.
46. Lubricate roller skates, skateboard wheels, and bicycle chains.
Use a dab of Alberto V-O-5 Conditioning Hairdressing.
47. Prevent a sailboat’s spinnaker pole fittings from jamming or sticking.
Lubricate with Alberto V-O-5 Conditioning Hairdressing.
48. Make golf clubs shine.
Clean the shafts with a dab of Alberto V-O-5 Conditioning Hairdressing on a clean cloth.
From the pages of Donna’s diary
How opened are our international borders?
Some may say not very opened while others may say that things have returned to quite a bit of normalcy. For me as someone who is blind/vision impaired, I would say that it can be viewed as a mixed bag.
True it is that several countries have lifted a large number of restrictions but there are still some that continue to be hesitant to do so.
I believe that for me the degree of an opened international border depends on whether or not I still need to complete any sort of test in order to enter a country. will determine for me how opened the border is.
I would definitely continue to wear a mask, sanitize, and do my best to social distance when traveling internationally. I will continue to seek as much assistance as I can when traveling and this may hinder my ability to travel because it is not certain how much assistance either airlines or airports can or are willing to render.
Neverthe less, I will strive to continue traveling whenever I can.
More persons are traveling but it is difficult to ascertain if travelers with disabilities are starting to travel more.
I’m Donna J. Jodhan enjoying my travels.
To learn more about me as a sight loss coach and author visit
On your next trip you could enrich your down time with some of my audio mysteries. Take them with you wherever you go!
In the car, on the plane, on the bus or train, at the beach, anywhere!
Affordable, portable, (computer or i device) and you could either purchase or Subscribe for unlimited access to my library at www.donnajodhan.com/store.html
and you can now take advantage of our free downloads here.
Follow me on Twitter @accessibleworld and at author_jodhan
And like me on Facebook at
www.facebook.com/donnajodhan and at www.facebook.com/authordonnajodhan