Each month I will be responding to a question; chosen from a pool of some of
the most commonly asked ones that I have been asked over the years and
continue to be asked.
This month, I’d like to answer the following question:
How to make bills more accessible
On the whole and I must say that bills have become more accessible to those
who have difficulty reading the regular bill. It may not be as difficult as
you may think to make your bills more accessible to your customers.
Here are some tips to get you going.
1. You can format your bills using larger fonts.
2. Ensure that you use fonts that are easy to read.
3. Use colors that are easy to distinguish. That is, that foreground and
background are easy to decipher. There is nothing worse than not being able
to distinguish text on a page because the color of the text is close to the
color of the page.
4. Make sure that the headings on the page stand out clearly.
5. Provide bills in large print.
6. Provide bills also in electronic format; PDF, Word, and Txt formats.
7. Make sure that your PDF formats have been generated using accessible
8. Make sure that pages of your bill are not overly cluttered and that there
is just enough white space between sections.
This should be enough to get you started.