Each month I will be responding to a question; chosen from a pool of some of
the most commonly asked ones that I have been asked over the years and
continue to be asked.
This month, I’d like to answer the following question:
How to help delis become more aware
I hope that the tips given here for this month would be helpful given the
holiday season and I do believe that they will better enable delhis to serve
customers with special needs.
The trick here is to ensure that staff are made aware of the requirementss
of customers with special needs but to also ensure that they are
appropriately trained as to how to interact and communicate with them. So
here are a few tips to get ou started.
1. Make sure that there is enough space within your delhi for persons with
wheelchairs and walkers.
2. That your doorways are wide enough to accommodate these and if they are
not then to make it a priority to correct this soon.
3. That when a customer with special needs enters, that your staff speak
directly to them and not to anyone who may be accompanying them.
4. that your customer with a special need hears you speaking to them and
that they are made aware that you are speaking to them.
5. That your staff is always ready to render assistance when necessary;
example with helping to carry parcels, telling the customer what is being
sold, answering queries whenever it pertains to things being sold, and so
6. Rendering assistance whenever it is sought.
This is a good start and his list can definitely be expanded.