Each month I will be responding to a question; chosen from a pool of some of
the most commonly asked ones that I have been asked over the years and
continue to be asked.
This month, I’d like to answer the following question:
How to help lawyers become more aware
By Donna J. Jodhan
For the most part, this is an ongoing process when it comes to helping
lawyers to become more aware. In the general scheme of things, we visit
lawyers to have them assist us with such things as mortgages, wills, and all
kinds of legal papers.
So the trick here is to have them make their documents accessible and
readable. Here are a few points to get you started.
1. Let lawyers know that they can make their documents accessible and
readable by providing them in electronic formats. That is, in Word, Text,
or accessible PDF formats.
2. If in PDF format, then the PDF document needs to be formatted using the
appropriate tags in order to make the content readable.
3. Lawyers should be told that clients with vision impairments can
definitely sign their own documents through the use of signature guides and
if the client has enough vision to read with magnifiers, then they can use
their magnifiers to locate the appropriate line on which to sign.
4. Clients should consider going the extra mile to help lawyers become more
aware of how they work with documents.
5. Clients need to help lawyers obtain a reasonable comfort level when
interaction between lawyer and client take place.
This is a good starting point but of course, there are more points to be